Breaking News
  • December 12Medical Teaches CPR at Roosevelt (12/14)
  • December 12HOSA Potluck (12/13)
  • December 12Lakes Law Goes to Keiser (1/18)
  • December 12Forensics Presentation in Biotech (12/13)
  • November 142024 Health Fair (2/8)
  • November 14HOSA Competition (1/25/24)
  • November 142024 Mock Trial Competition (2/1)
  • November 14Law Tea (12/13)
  • November 14Youth Court (12/14)
The student news site of Palm Beach Lakes Community High School in West Palm Beach, Florida

PBL Choice News

PBL Choice News

PBL Choice News

Other Stuff to Read

Fire Cadets Remember 9/11

For the second year, Palm Beach Lakes Fire Academy was on hand to help the city pay tribute the all of the 9/11 victims. The point of the celebration was to commemorate all those impacted by that horrific day in our nation’s history.

On Sunday, September 10, West Palm Beach Fire Rescue hosted its 5th Annual 9/11 Memorial Stair Climb to honor both the victims and the heroes of the tragic attack that remains indelible in many people’s memories and hearts. “Participants … symbolically climb the equivalent of 110 stories, mirroring the harrowing ascent faced by first responders at the World Trade Center” (wpb.org). In addition, there was a CrossFit competition, a golf scramble, and many other activities for everyone in attendance to participate in or watch.

An extension of that activity was the 22nd Anniversary 9/11 Remembrance Ceremony at the Lake Worth Campus of Palm Beach State College, in the Duncan Theatre. This special program was sponsored by Palm Beach County Fire Rescue. The community was invited out to honor and remember those who lost their lives on September 11, 2001. Also honored were the first responders and service members who bravely serve the country. Lakes Fire Cadets Willie Shelton (Senior) and Lesly Vazquez Moran (Junior) represented Palm Beach Lakes High School and the Five Carat Choice Program’s Fire Academy. Cadet Vazquez Moran opened up the ceremony by contributing a few moving words of remembrance. A cadet from Wellington High School was also in attendance. The event was truly special, and it continues to be balm for the community.