PBL Choice News

• January 9JROTC at MLK Parade 1/19

• January 9EC & TA Heroes of Education Parade 1/19

• January 9Five Carat Freshman Showcase 1/18

Got Caught “Blinging” Like a Carat!

Back to Article
Back to Article

Got Caught “Blinging” Like a Carat!

Tera Hands, Choice Coordinator

Guess who got caught blinging like a true carat!   Choice instructors are always on the lookout for the best and the brightest in their respective academies.  Students are chosen as a result of their overall stellar performance and conduct.  They are given a certificate, an SOM pen, and a sweet treat from the Choice Coordinator.  Carats, keep being excellent; keep shining bright like a diamond! Below are the November 2018 Academy Students of the Month:

Gia Watson is a new Medical Academy student in the 10th grade. She is described as an awesome student who is always willing to help her peers. Her academy teachers say, “she goes above and beyond to make certain all her tasks are complete.” Gotta love a Carat like Gia!

Fedjine Bell is also a new Medical Academy student who is taking both the Level 1 and Level 2 classes, simultaneously. She is performing  spectacularly in both courses! She assists Ms. McFarlane with many tasks and does all that she can to assist her peers as well.  She is a model student whom we are proud to have in the academy.  Keep up the great work, Fedjine!

Jahgift Raton is a member of the Medical Academy and HOSA (academy club).  According to her teacher Mr. Martinez, she is “kind-hearted, super excited about learning, and optimistic.”  He goes on to say that she is a “good friend” and a “better person.” Because of these stellar qualities, Jahgift is a November Student of the Month! Way to go, Jahgift!

Cliffton Thelusca is a senior Medial Academy student who is also a HOSA club member. He is excelling in both Pharmacy and EKG. Last year, he earned his EMR certification, which is commendable in itself.  About Cliffton, Ms. Gissenter says that he is “quiet, reflective, thoughtful.” The academy is strong because of Cliffton–Great job!

Alicia Deshazor is a freshman in the Law Academy.  To many, she is a good student who is intellectually curious. Her teacher, Dr. Van Treese describes  her as “a pleasure to have in class.”  She is eager to learn and very receptive to new material. She is a real gem in the Law Academy!  Nice, Alicia!

Bevelyn Bellevue is a sophomore in the Law Academy who is an outstanding student.  She is currently the #3 student in her class (2021). This young lady is active in the Law Club, Youth Court, and will be competing on the Mock Trial team soon.  Dr. Van Treese comments, “She is absolutely brilliant, hard-working, and talented as evidenced by her outstanding moot court performance this fall.” He says that she is already higher than most law students.  Wow, Bevelyn! You are indeed a treasure that we are glad to have!

Elajah Carty is the eleventh grade Law Student of the Month of November! It is hard to say enough about her: She is a true leader in the academy and participates in all aspects of the academy.  She takes all Advanced, AICE, and DE courses demonstrating that she is focused and career-minded as well.  When asked, Dr. Van Treese exclaims, “We are blessed to have Elajah in the Law Academy! She will most likely be a serious contender for the general counsel internship at the school district in the summer of 2019!” Congratulations, Elajah! That’s amazing!

Janell Gilchrist is a senior and leader in the Law Academy. She is currently organizing the 4th District Court of Appeal oral arguments at PBL in the spring.  Janell has stepped up this year and is taking advantage of Dual Enrollment in Law (Business Law). Dr. Van Treese is “very proud of Janell” and thinks that “we are lucky to have her in the Law Academy.” Keep making us look good, Janell!